Sunday, October 12, 2014

Slaves treated like beasts of burden

Since my youth, I used to search for schoolbooks images of slaves at Brazil's colonial period. I wonder what was walk through the streets of Rio de Janeiro or Salvador and find those beasts of burden walking naked, sweaty and dirty, working in chains and being whipped.
The colonial caste society repressed any sensuality among whites, white women walked covered by burqas, like in Islam today. But blacks, men or women, were seen as animals such as cattle or mules.
For these creatures there was no god, mercy or dignity. Just work, exploitation and brutality.
All this has always excited me, these images led me to many hand jobs. Envied the black boys, living in the same miserable conditions of them.


The drawing is complete. Posted two stages, the initial version of the top and the final version.





1 comment:

  1. are the Italian friend. I saw the picture just now. beautiful .. I also imagined to be forced to walk naked and work among the people who insult me and then as a reward torture and whip, hunger and thirst ... until death. very good as always. Your imagination is similar to mine.

    ReplyDelete